Smart Shopper - a profile
Let’s look at the profile of a smart shopper. If we're going to be successful at frugal living, we'll need to become one of those smart folks out there in the marketplace.
It's not a big secret as to how some people become well informed shoppers. All it takes is a little practice and a lot of motivation.
If you have way more money than time, forget trying to be smart with your money - just spend it as you need to. If you're like most of us, you don't have money to throw around.
So, you probably take your time and become a good shopper that uses their smarts when making purchases.
Here is the basic profile of a smart shopper who is focused on getting the most from their hard earned money:
- Shops with a purpose. Deliberate and focused. Turns a blind eye to specials and inducements to buy.
- Knows the value of things based on experience in the marketplace and knowledge of the product.
- Strives to spend money where it spends the best.
- Not afraid to negotiate, haggle, make offers and barter for things.
- Perfectly willing to walk away from a potential purchase if things just don't add up.
- Willing to wait for the right opportunity. Doesn't get roped into thinking that a "limited time offer" is anything except a ploy.
- Deals with a decision maker instead of a flunky.
- Rarely found at the mall.
- Eager to deal with private parties in order to find a good product at a good price.
- Attends auctions and garage sales to find bargain prices.
- Scans the classified ads in the newspaper and local trading paper to find things that are of interest.
- Buys little or nothing "as seen on TV."
- Knows that keeping a hold of their money is better than making a wasteful purchase.
- Looks to make investments in things more than purchases.
How well do you fit the profile? Are you a smart shopper, or at least one in the making?
Remember, all it takes is a little practice, a few techniques that you feel comfortable with, and lots of motivation to make your money go farther.
Done with Smart Shopper, take me back to Frugal Shopping